This article is a comparative overview of the theology of religions according to the views of Lesslie Newbigin and Johan Herman Bavinck. Although these two missionaries are rooted in the tradition of Reformed theology, they both have different views in examining the theology of religions. Newbigin in analyzing religions tends to be negative so that Newbigin expresses an urgent urge to proclaim the gospel. Meanwhile, Bavinck tends to be positive in examining religions and does not provide an urgent encouragement in proclaiming the Gospel. At the end of this article, the author concludes that the views of each missionary figure should be embraced to obtain a more comprehensive and whole understanding in analyzing the theology of religions.
- Barnes, Michael. Interreligious Learning: Dialogue, Spirituality and the Christian Imagination. Cambridge: CUP, 2012.
- Bavinck, Herman. In the Beginning: Foundations of Creation Theology. Grand Rapids: Baker Books House, 1999.
- Bavinck, J.H. The Impact of Christianity on The Non-Christian World. Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1948.
- __________. “The Problem of Adaptation and Communication.” International Review of Mission 45, no. 179 (July 1956): 307–13.
- __________. An Introduction to the Science of Missions. Phillipsburg, N.J: P & R Publishing, 1960.
- __________. The Church between Temple and Mosque. Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1966.
- __________. “Human Religion in God’s Eyes: A Study of Romans 1:18-32.” Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology 12, no. 1 (Spr 1994): 44–52.
- Bolt, John, James Bratt, and Paul J. Visser, ed. The J.H. Bavinck Reader. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing, 2013.
- Bosch, David Jacobus. Transforming Mission: Paradigm Shifts in Theology of Mission. Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis Books, 1991.
- Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion. Diedit oleh John T. McNeill. Diterjemahkan oleh Ford Lewis Battles. Philadelphia: Westminster Press, 1960.
- Castro, Emilio. “A Christocentric Trinitarian Understanding of Mission.” International Review of Mission 89, no. 355 (October 2000): 584–91.
- Dupuis, Jacques. Towards a Christian Theology of Religious Pluralism. Maryknoll: Orbis, 1997.
- Goheen, Michael W. “As the Father Has Sent Me, I Am Sending You”: J. E. Lesslie Newbigin’s Missionary Ecclesiology. PhD diss., Universiteit of Utrecht, 2000. Diakses 2 Februari 2021, https://dspace.library.uu.nl/bitstream/handle/1874/597/inhoud.htm?sequence=38
- Kraemer, Hendrik. The Christian Message in a Non-Christian World. London: Edinburgh House Press, 1938.
- Mather, George and Larry A. Nichols. Dictionary of Cults, Sects, Religions, and the Occult. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan Pub. House, 1993.
- Newbigin, Lesslie. “Basis, Purpose and Manner of Inter-Faith Dialogue.” Scottish Journal of Theology 30, no. 3 (1977): 253–70.
- __________. The Light Has Come: An Exposition of the Fourth Gospel. Grand Rapids, Mich.: W.B. Eerdmans, 1982.
- __________. “Christ and the World of Religions.” Churchman 97, no. 1 (1983): 16–30.
- __________. “Christ and the World of Religions.” Reformed Review 37, no. 3 (Spr 1984): 202–13.
- __________. “Religious Pluralism and the Uniqueness of Jesus Christ.” International Bulletin of Missionary Research 13, no. 2 (April 1989): 50–54.
- __________. “Way out West: The Gospel in a Post-Enlightenment World.” Touchstone (US) 5, no. 3 (Sum 1992): 22–24.
- __________. The Open Secret: An Introduction to the Theology of Mission, rev. ed. Grand Rapids, Mich.: W.B. Eerdmans, 1995.
- Pope John Paul II. “Redemptoris Missio,” Vatican.va, December 7, 1990. https://www.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_07121990_redemptoris-missio.html
- Pope Paul VI. “Declaration on the Relation of the Church to non-Christian Religions-Nostra Aetate.” Vatican.va, October 28, 1965. https://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html
- Taylor, Kathleen. “Talking with Other Religions.” The Way 59, no. 1 (January 2020): 47–57.
- Visser, P J. (Paul Jan). “Religion, Mission, and Kingdom: A Comparison of Herman and Johan Herman Bavinck.” Calvin Theological Journal 45, no. 1 (April 2010): 117–32.